Monday 21 October 2013

Be prepared



Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage – with great patience and careful instruction.             2 Tim. 4.2


Paul’s exhortation is to be prepared at all times. The preparation is the Word. The Word is the basis of all that we say and do.

The Christian way is not one of total acceptance, albeit in love, of all and sundry. Certainly we are called to love without holding back. We are commissioned to reach out in the name of Jesus, and to look, just as He did, on people with compassion and mercy.

But we also have a responsibility to nurture and grow those we touch and who may respond, in the ways of God, ways that are good and righteous. Not all activity is acceptable to God.

We are called to follow the example of Jesus, to become more Christlike as we journey this life. Sometimes we need correction, sometimes maybe even rebuke. Yet my strong sense is that these things must be done in a most encouraging way. Correction, rebuke and encouragement may well stand as separate and distinct actions required at certain times but, as well, correction and rebuke when given separately need to be clothed in encouragement.

Paul mentions the need for patience and careful instruction. God’s Word is enduring and precious. It is not to be mishandled nor treated rashly or carelessly. How fortunate we are that this amazing aid is there to lead us through the journey.






Lord God,

I thank You for Your Word. It is truth and life, and it is eternal in its application. Grant me wisdom and patience. Give me a growing understanding of Your Word and guide me, please, in its application, both in my own life and in those lives You lead me to minister into. Let me never be tempted to give of myself but always be led by You.

I am Your servant. Draw me further into Your service, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment