Saturday 5 October 2013

The goal



The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.                                   1 Tim. 1.5


Once again Paul has encapsulated the Christian way. So often in New Testament writing a verse occurs which almost says it all. This is such a verse for me.

Of course, the Christian way centres on Christ. He must be the foremost focus for any who would follow Him. Good works alone won’t get a person into heaven. A simple faith in Jesus is the way, an acceptance of Him as Saviour and a commitment to Him as Lord provide the starting point for the Christian journey. But the journey takes a path, and the path is all about love. Firstly, love for God as the only one to be adored and worshipped. From this all-powerful love come love, compassion and concern for fellow humanity. And all of this emanates from a pure heart, a good conscience and a sincere faith. 

I see a pattern between these three phrases. A pure heart is a most desirable thing. But has anyone outside of Christ demonstrated a truly pure heart? This does not mean we don’t aim for it. And this is where a good conscience kicks in. The conscience will alert me to the impurities of the heart. If I am sincere in my Christian quest I will heed my conscience and make good where necessary. To God I will confess and repent of all that is ungodly. To my fellow beings I would ask forgiveness and seek reparation.

The conscience can also lead me into the building of a sincere faith. Do I want a pure heart, a good conscience and a sincere faith? You bet I do!






Lord God,

I come to You in simple faith. I take this lead from Paul in seeking a pure heart, a good conscience and a sincere faith. I ask You to lead me in all of these. Convict me, please, of any and all impurity. Grow in me a good conscience. Please help me to be obedient to the Godly dictates of conscience. Strengthen me in faith. Let it develop strong and sincere. Lead me on, Lord. In Jesus’ Name I ask.                                                                                                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment