Saturday 1 September 2012

Protection


Let not my heart be drawn to what is evil, to take part in wicked deeds with men who are evildoers; let me not eat of their delicacies.     Psalm 141.4


The psalm previous to this one, Psalm 140 that is, cries out for rescue and protection from evil men, from the hands of the wicked. This is also reflected in the second part of the verse above. While I do not discount the threat of evil that may come to me from others, I am also mindful of the evil that can generate from my own being without any prompting from outside me. My own thinking can lead me down the wrong path. I can often react, and react harshly, when a stepping-back and allowing a considered response to form would be the more appropriate action. I disappoint myself, from time to time, with my own actions and behaviour. I can only guess at the disappointment I bring to God.

Thus, internally and externally, I need protection. Further to this, I need positive input, and this can only come from Him and by Him. God can lead me directly, and He can bring other to help, strengthen and sustain me. Furthermore, He can perform miracles within me that will change me for the better, that will make me more His person. I seek all of this.






Lord God,

Right now I am so aware of my human failings. I lift them to You, Lord. I seek Your help, in whatever manner You choose, to bring me more into the person I want to be – a true follower of Christ and a pleasing son of God.

I ask You to work in my heart and in my mind. Cleanse me of all that is not right in me with You. Purify me with the full and abiding presence of Your Holy Spirit. Make me, truly, Your person.                                                                                                                         Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment