Wednesday 12 September 2012

Imperfect


When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered in his tent.              Gen. 9.21


Noah built the ark. The flood came and destroyed the earth, but Noah and the contents of the ark were spared. Noah planted a vineyard and drank some of its wine.

In a drunken state, Noah lay naked inside his tent. This righteous man, who had found favour in the eyes of the LORD, is now seen in the most immodest behaviour.

Again, we encounter the imperfection of humanity. It is here with Noah. As we progress through the Bible we will see it in Moses, in David, and in so many – indeed in all of God’s people.

And so to me! If I dare to think that I am any different, I am foolishly mistaken and I deceive myself. I am nothing, in myself, on my own. My worth is in Jesus. He alone is my source.








Lord God,

I too have acted as Noah did. I am neither proud nor pleased with the unnecessary acts of the flesh and the human will that I indulge in, and which are grievous to You. I say to You, I’m sorry. I ask Your forgiveness.

I make no excuses yet I know I cannot achieve righteousness for myself. It comes only from You. I come to You, Lord, and I ask You to receive me. Draw me close. May your holy influence penetrate my sinful nature and bring change to the whole of my being.

I ask this in the precious name of Jesus.                                                                      Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment