Friday 14 September 2012

Lift your eyes


The LORD said to Abram after Lot had parted from him, “Lift up your eyes from where you are and look north and south, east and west. All the land that you see I will give to you and your offspring forever. I will make your offspring like the dust of the earth, so that if anyone could count the dust, then your offspring could be counted. Go, walk through the length and breadth of the land, for I am giving it to you.”  Gen. 13.14-17


Abram has left Egypt with Lot and their families. They are both wealthy, owning many flocks and herds and all the accoutrements of prosperity. Indeed, they had so much in the way of material possession that they found it impossible to live together in the same area.

Abram invited Lot to choose where he wanted to live. Lot made a totally selfish choice. Looking out over the fertile plain of the Jordan, Lot coveted it and chose the whole plain for him and his entourage to occupy.

Abram was left with the seemingly less desirable portion of the land. But Abram had done the godly thing and not acted selfishly. And God looks after those who are obedient to Him. He blessed Abram with all the land he could see.

Furthermore, He promised Abram that his offspring would be numerous, so many that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to count them.

A further revelation that comes to me from this reading is that whatever anyone may choose to do, they cannot stop the outworking of God’s plan and purposes. There may be a temporary delay. There may not be. Lot selfishly took what he thought was the best of the land, but Abram received the blessing from God.

Again, there may be a choice here for me to exercise. Do I go the way of Lot, making selfish choices and seeking to fulfil my own destiny? Or do I emulate Abram, seek God in all things, and let Him have his way? I know what I want to do. I need God’s help to prevent me from getting in His way.





Holy Father,

Thank You for another revelation and lesson. You have told me not to follow the ways of the world and, truly, I don’t want to. I want to follow Jesus. I want to obey You in all that I do.
Daily I pray that You will show me Your ways, and lead me in them. I so want to be with You, to do for You, and to honour You in all that I do. I ask You to prevent anything from getting in the way of my following Jesus, and being who and what You want me to be.

I love You. Please receive my love. Hold me close in your love. Fill me, Let me know You more. Let your love overflow from me and touch all that You bring me in contact with, in Jesus Name I ask.                                                                                                      Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment