Monday 20 August 2012

Hemmed in


You hem me in – behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.    Psalm 139.5,6


The thought of being hemmed in by God could raise different emotions in people. One may feel trapped, unable to function in oneself owing to the ever-presence of God, watching, maybe judging, ever critical and ready to condemn.

Or one may see the joy of living always in the divine presence, of knowing that He is ever there – guiding, protecting and loving.

This latter is the choice for me. I do not see God as a threat, hindrance or impediment. God is my liberty. He is my strength and enabling. He is my protection and safety. He is my companion and friend.

We have a choice in how we see God. I know how I have chosen, and I can rest in this choice. Yet, as the psalmist rightly points out, I cannot comprehend why God would go to these lengths for me. It is beyond my understanding. Is it, indeed, some lofty divine ideal that I cannot grasp? I wonder! When I front up and ask God why He would care for me as He does, the answer is both simple and sweet. He says: “It is because I love you.”







O Loving God,

I welcome Your presence behind, before and all over me. I rejoice that You hem me in, that I can’t escape You because, quite simply, I don’t want to.

You are the source of all things to me. I press in. I seek You with all of my being, and I delight to know that You are there. I don’t understand how You can be so caring of me, but I accept. I receive You into all of my life and I ask You to fill every part of me, in Jesus’ Name.
                                                                                                                                            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment