Tuesday 21 November 2017

Promises

By faith Joseph, when his end was near, spoke about the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt and gave instructions about his bones.                               Heb. 11.22


God had promised to Jacob that He would accompany the Israelites to Egypt and would bring them back to the land He had promised them. (Gen. 46.4)

Jacob had been long dead but Joseph knew of the promise and he reminded his brothers of it when he knew that he himself was dying.

God may give a promise to an individual for him or herself alone. He may also make a promise that extends through generations. In all cases it is faith that enables us to hold to the truth of the promise. I can have faith that a promise God made to me will come true. This may happen in my lifetime or it might occur after my death. I can also believe for promises that God has given to others that might come to pass in my time, or even later.

I see it as vital to understand the promises that God has made – to hold on to them in the assurance that they will come to pass in time. Faith keeps God’s promises alive. This is ably shown in the examples cited in this chapter 11 of the letter to the Hebrews. There is a strong encouragement here for every believer. May we be wise and bold enough to receive God’s promises, to hold on to them, and to believe for the realisation of them in God’s appointed time.



Lord God,
I receive the insight that has come to me through this reading. Let me identify Your various promises and may I, in faith, stand in firm belief that each and every one will come to pass in the time that You declare for their fulfilment.                      Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment