Friday 3 November 2017

Astray?

“That is why I was angry with that generation, and I said, ‘Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways’ ”                                                     Heb. 3.10


The quote, from Psalm 95, tells us that God was angry with that generation. I would suggest that He has likely cause to be angry with every generation.

It is a consistent feature of human nature that we stray from God’s ways, and no generation is exempt. There may be times when the straying is more widespread and extreme than at other times, but the pattern continues.

The psalmist recalls, they have not known my ways. I don’t think he’s referring to ignorance of God’s ways, for these are well known to us. And, in case of forgetfulness, the Scriptures are a constant reminder. What I believe he’s saying by the phrase not known my ways is that they have not lived in the ways of God. These ways are most certainly known, they are simply not chosen to be lived by.

I know God’s ways to be good, so why do I not rush to embrace them and live them to the fullest measure? I think I’m at a place where I’d like to do this, but I keep stumbling. I am side-tracked, and this sometimes happens quite easily. So, what do I do? Surely, the thing to do is to get back on track. Does God get angry with me when I miss His ways? Maybe, but surely that anger may be appeased and turned to generous help if I recognise my error, turn to Him, and seek His help to continue in His ways.



Mighty God,
I want to live in Your ways. I sometimes lose sight of this. I ask You to forgive me. Draw me back to You in such times and lead me afresh in Your ways. Let me know Your support and encouragement as I turn to You.        Amen.







My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment