Thursday 16 November 2017

Increasing faith?

Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead, and figuratively speaking, he did receive Isaac back from death.                                                 Heb. 11.19


Abraham was tested to the extreme when God asked him to sacrifice his own son. His total obedience highlighted the depth and quality of his faith. God said, “Now I know that you fear God.” (Gen. 22.12) Abraham’s own act of obedience assured him of the promise God made to him: “I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore.” (Gen. 22.16,17)

Abraham’s faith was so strong that he apparently believed that God could raise the dead. He was ready to give up Isaac in sacrifice because he believed God would raise him and restore him. This is faith.

I am still puzzled, however, by the situation that led to the birth of Ishmael. Certainly the suggestion that Abraham sleep with Hagar came from Sarah, but we are told that Abraham agreed (Gen. 16.2). Where was Abraham’s great faith at this time?

Is it possible that Abraham had faith but that the faith increased as Abraham progressed in his walk with God? As I read through Genesis 17, I see how God re-affirmed His promise to Abraham. Indeed, Abraham seems somewhat sceptical. But God is insistent. Maybe this insistence and further assurance brought a growth in Abraham’s faith.

I am encouraged by this. I know I have faith, but I desire more.



Lord God,
I thank You for the faith I have, but I also ask for more. Hear my prayer, please. Bring enlightenment in faith to me. If You will, let me experience a growth in faith, and may this be a continuing growth. I thank You, in Jesus name.               Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment