Sunday 5 November 2017

A believing heart

See to it brothers , that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.                                                                       Heb. 3.12


The onus is directed at me to keep my heart from sin and to hold it in belief. With my heart in good shape in this way I can cry out to God to help me bring the rest of my being into a rhythm of Godly living.

I find it difficult to consider that I should ever turn away from God with an unbelieving heart. I pray this will never be the case.

No, my heart is believing, I know this. My struggle is to keep myself free from sin. It is well for me to struggle with this, though I know I will not achieve victory in my own strength. I see myself in partnership with Jesus, yoked to Him, and I need to give my sinful being into this partnership so that we can, together, work through the temptations, trials and testings that may beset me.

This is OK. In fact, I hear Jesus say, “Let me in. Embrace me in the midst of your struggle and look to us to work it through together. You are not alone. I am with you.”

This realisation encourages me greatly. It is, perhaps, a human reaction to think that I must struggle on my own. After all, God is against sin, isn’t He? And this is the very reason I see for Him wanting to help me. It’s His desire that I overcome. He will help me all that I will allow Him.



Mighty and Gracious God,
I look to You to help me through every sinful struggle in which I might find myself. I ally myself fully with You. I confess my desire to be clean, free from sin, and pleasing to You.                 Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment