Wednesday 29 November 2017

One flock

“I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.”                John 10.16


Jesus speaks as the good shepherd, the one who looks after His sheep to the point of giving His very life for them. Jesus spoke firstly to the Jews. He came to rescue God’s chosen people and lift them out of their wayward lives to restore them into right relationship with the Father.

He then goes on to mention other sheep. These are the Gentiles, indeed any one who receives Jesus as Saviour and gives himself or herself into His lordship.

Jesus talks of one flock. He sees a time when Jew and Gentile will come together in unity under the one shepherd, the Lord Jesus Christ. This is a promise to cherish; it is a time to anticipate and to give ourselves to. O, Hallelujah!

Jesus talks of one flock and means, I feel quite sure, that all people will come together under Him. This is a mighty, massive promise. I look around that portion of the flock that I am familiar with – this is the Body of Christ as represented through the Western Church (for this is my experience!). What I see, truly, is a proliferation of thoughts, ideas, and practices. Jesus intended to build one church. Human leadership has splintered and fragmented the church into many factions each one, no doubt, believing that they are the church of Jesus Christ.

There is a way to go before even the Christians get themselves into the fullness of complete unity. And yet, Jesus can promise unity between Christians and Jews, such that they come together as one flock with one shepherd. Only Jesus can do this.

Come, Lord Jesus!



Most Holy God,
I receive these words today as a mighty revelation and the greatest promise: there shall be one flock and one shepherd.
I know, most assuredly I know, that nothing is impossible with You. I rejoice in You, Lord. I invite You to use me, if You will, in the move towards one flock and one shepherd.
                                                                                                                                    Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment