Saturday 18 November 2017

Another way

By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph’s sons, and worshipped as he leaned on the top of his staff.                                        Heb. 11.21


Here is another apparent anomaly in the strict application of paternal blessing. In Jacob’s case it is understandable that he would not pass the blessing to his firstborn Reuben because he had dared to sleep with his father’s wife.

But Jacob passed by a whole generation in extending the blessing. He chose Joseph’s two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim. And, despite Joseph’s protests, Jacob put Ephraim, the younger, ahead of Manasseh. And so the succession moves from the straightforward, and confounds the custom and tradition of the people.

I am reminded of the simple reality that God can do anything. The human way is often to develop a method or a process and to decree this as “the way”. But this does not necessarily apply in God’s jurisprudence. Not only is God able to do anything, He often will act contrary to human expectations, and even baffle us, sometimes, with His choices.

This excites me, for it encourages me that I am not tied to what might appear to be the inevitable. With God in charge, I can look for what will ultimately bring much good and blessing. I need not be alarmed when the unexpected happens. With the decision made that I will trust God, I can rest assured in the surety, and safety, of His will.



Lord God,
Again You have shown me that all things are possible in You. I give You my faith, my love and my trust. Lead me in the fullness of Your will. May I not be surprised by anything You might do, but let me look to You in everything.                  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment