Saturday 7 January 2017

The narrow door

Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?”     Luke 13.23


Jesus doesn’t answer this question directly, but He does warn those who think they know Him that when the crunch comes they will be denied. His words are neither soft nor sweet, but radical and confronting: “There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out.” (v28)

What, then, can be done? It’s not enough to say, “We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.” It seems that more is needed.

We believe that God’s love is enough, that all we have to do is to receive Him, but I see God’s love as covenantal, which means that something is required of us.

And Jesus says, “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.” (v24) How do I attempt to enter through the narrow door? I see a good starting point with the two commandments that Jesus gave, essentially to love God with every part of my being, and to love my neighbour.

I note that Jesus said, “Make every effort.” Is it sufficient that I try the best that I can, that I attempt to live a lifestyle of love? Again, Jesus doesn’t give an answer. I have several options. I can do nothing, and hope for the best! I can sit and wait for further enlightenment. Or I can follow through on what I’ve just said, and give myself to a life of love. I’ll try this!





Gracious Lord Jesus,

You clearly said, “Follow me”, and I want to. I seek to be as much like You as is possible for a fallen and sinful being. I need Your help. I need the grace that You say is sufficient for me. I give myself to Your leading, Your teaching, and Your love. Help me, in Your faithful name I ask.                     Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment