Tuesday 17 January 2017

Excuses

But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, “I have bought a piece of land, and I must go out and see it; please accept my regrets”.                                 Luke 14.18


Many had been invited to a special feast, but they all found reasons to excuse themselves. I say this deliberately because, it seems to me, that the invitees preferred to “do their own thing” rather than partake of the glorious banquet that was offered to them.

I see a similar attitude most prevalent today in people rejecting Jesus and the life that He offers. Sometimes the excuses that are proffered are quite ridiculous. I wonder why! Why do people spurn this most amazing free gift? I doubt that it’s through any genuine alternative “better deal”. It could be because the Christian way has become polluted by a number of practices and attitudes that attest to religiosity and have nothing whatsoever to do with Christ’s message of love, mercy and grace. It could be that people are fearful of making the commitment, perhaps seeing it, falsely, as inhibiting them, rather than embracing it as the glorious release it can be.

In Luke’s story, the eventual guests at the feast are the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame (v21), in one word, the “disadvantaged”. They become the beneficiaries and their inadequacies and shortcomings disappear, to be replaced with abundant and eternal life.

How short-sighted are those who choose their own way! How sadly they miss out! How greatly they need prayer!





Lord God, and Loving Saviour,

I pray for all those who choose their own way rather than Yours. I ask You to forgive their foolish and pathetic excuses.

Draw them to You. Your desire is that none shall perish. I pray for those who are at risk of such a fate and I ask You to reach out to them. Bring revelation, recognition, and repentance. In Jesus’ name I ask.              Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment