Friday 13 January 2017

Position

“But when you are invited, go and sit down at the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he may say to you, ‘Friend, move up higher’; then you will be honoured in the presence of all who sit at the table with you.”                                                                          Luke 14.10


How very unworldly of Jesus to suggest that we take the hold-back approach, that we look for the lowest place. Isn’t it just natural for us to seek out the best position, even the exalted place?

This might well be the way of humanity, but it’s not the way of God.

Yet again, God’s ways are at odds with the ways that the world has sought and adopted. Jesus was different to society in the time He physically walked this earth, and He is still different. And, in large measure, the world cannot accept His differences.

I don’t know if I would willingly seek out the lowest place in any assembly, but I am content not to chase the prime spot. This simply doesn’t interest me. I have noticed how much more I see of people and their situations when I quietly observe from a place of lesser significance. This might be one of the reasons why Jesus exhorts us to find this lower place. It is certainly one of the benefits.

If I am to think of myself in the worldly way, then I will seek the very best place – for me! If, however, I choose to go God’s way, I will put others before myself. And, if I choose to go for the lower position, I can be assured that I will find Jesus there.





Lord Jesus,

You gave Your very life for others, how can I not give up a more comfortable seat or a favoured position for others? Again, my desire is to follow You. Please lead me when my human desire kicks against God’s will; remind me once more of Your life and significance. Let me hear You say, “Come, follow me.”              Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment