Saturday 21 January 2017

Saltiness

“Salt is good; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; they throw it away. Let anyone with ears to hear listen”                                                                                                                                Luke 14.34,35


In another account Jesus also says, “You are the salt of the earth.” (Matt. 5.13) He is making a clear comparison between Christians, His followers, and salt. But if salt loses its taste it is diminished. In fact, it becomes of no use whatsoever.

I am mindful of two principal benefits of salt: It is a seasoning, it adds flavour and taste; it is also a preservative, it keeps food in a good state such that it can be eaten at a later date. For salt to lose its saltiness means that its ability to season and to preserve is gone. It becomes totally worthless, fit for nothing good whatsoever.

Jesus called Christians the salt of the earth. We have a responsibility to season life, to bring the right flavour through by our thoughts, words and actions and to see this flavour come forth in the world around us. We are called also to preserve the good of life, that is the good as God intends. There is a worldly good which may often be seen as a self-seeking advancement. There is also a Godly good, which looks to the well-being of others, of people and of things, indeed to the preservation of all of creation in as good a state as is possible.

How does salt retain its saltiness? I believe by remaining true to the teaching and example of Jesus. He showed us the way; He lived the perfect life; He said, “Come, follow me.”





Lord Jesus,

I want to take my place as the salt of the earth. I want to retain my saltiness and season and preserve what I see in You and learn from You. Please know this, my desire, and help me, in Your faithfulness I ask.                                    Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment