Monday 23 January 2017

Action

And the Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, “This fellow welcomes sinners and eats with them.”                                                                                 Luke 15.2


The law-promoters are certainly right in saying that Jesus welcomes sinners and eats with them. But it is not His intent that they remain in sin.

He relates the story of the one sheep who goes astray. The shepherd momentarily leaves the rest of the flock in order to seek out and bring back the lost sheep. And there is great rejoicing when the sheep is returned.

Then Jesus compares the returned sheep with the sinner who repents. As the lost sheep is brought back into the fold, so the repentant sinner comes back to God.

I struggle over those who profess faith but then seem to turn from God and willingly embrace sin. What do I do when people I am acquainted with act in such a manner? What would Jesus do in the case of an unrepentant sinner? I can’t see Jesus condoning the sin, but I do believe He would be there, and ready when the individual comes to the point of change, possibly of surrender, and of repentance.

Does this help me? Right now I sense the action for me to take in respect of wayward souls is to pray for them, and continue to do so, and to be there for them, accepting them whilst not condoning the sin. For I, too, am a sinner!





Lord Jesus,

You did not shrink from sinners. May I not do so. Help me to know how I can best serve those who take their own course in a direction that opposes or resists the Father’s will.

I pray for wisdom to know what to do. I ask for grace that I might respond as You would, and speak and act in a Godly way.

Help me in this, in Your glorious name I ask.            Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment