Tuesday 3 January 2017

For, or against

But the leader of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had cured on the Sabbath, kept saying to the crowd, “There are six days on which work ought to be done; come on those days and be cured, and not on the Sabbath day.”           Luke 13.14


There are many voices to be heard in the world today, but I’m thinking now of just two: The voice of God, and the voice that is against God, or resists God, or knows better than God.

God chose to heal a woman who had suffered miserably for eighteen years. But He chose to do so on a Sabbath, and this did not please the leader of the synagogue.

Sadly, this is not the only time that religious leaders speak and act contrary to God’s will. How disappointing it is that the man could not see God’s miracle in all its wonder, and rejoice as the woman herself did. And how disappointing it is that people still want to judge what may or may not be done in the name of God.  

Jesus’ judgment on that day sounds a note of foreboding to any who would presume to dictate do’s and do not’s of God without prior, deep, humble, and prayerful consultation with Him.

“You hypocrites!” Pray God that I may not hear Him utter these words in respect of anything I might be involved with. Let me look to hear God’s voice lead and direct me. May I know the wisdom and have the courage to discern, and reject the voices of those who follow their own interpretation in denial of God’s will.





Holy God,

I thrill at the miraculous things that are possible in Your name. I want to be part of such doings. Let me hear You clearly in what You would have me be and do. Give me wisdom and discernment to recognise those that may not speak in accord with Your will, and strengthen me to resist them. I ask this in Jesus’ gracious name.             Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment