Sunday 6 March 2016

Questions

Jesus replied, “I will also ask you one question. If you answer me, I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things.”                                                              Matt. 21.24


I note a number of times that Jesus responds to a question with a question. It’s an interesting device that arouses my curiosity as to why Jesus would choose to go this way. Is He challenging His questioners to “prove their credentials” by first answering a question from Him? I wonder!

Whatever the reason or motivation, what I pick up on here is Jesus asking questions of us. He may be testing us; He may be simply curious to hear us express ourselves on various topics. Whatever the reason, I doubt that He really needs to enquire of us for I presume He already knows the answer.

In my relationship with Jesus then, I see His asking questions of me as part of our ongoing connection. Irrespective of whether He knows the answer or not, He wishes to communicate, to connect and converse with me.

I wonder what sort of questions He might ask of me – and I wonder at the answers I might be tempted to give!





Lord Jesus,

I am intrigued, and delighted, at the thought of You asking questions of me. These may not necessarily be in response to my questions of You, though this is quite possible. Hopefully they will not be in the same challenging climate that You experienced with the chief priests and elders.

I delight at the opportunity to deepen and enhance my relationship with You. I look forward to whatever questions you may have for me and I pray that I may answer them in all honesty.

May we grow in relationship? Dear Lord, I pray that You would fill me with Your holy presence. Make me fully Yours, that I may be one with You. I ask this in Your precious name.                   Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment