Monday 21 March 2016

Forsaken?

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning?”                                                         Psalm 22.1


These words are attributed to David in crying out to God for relief and release from the vicious and prolonged attacks of enemies. David found himself often challenged in situations that he had not provoked.

Jesus also quoted these words as He hung on the cross. It appeared that He had been well and truly forsaken!

Throughout history many men and women could quite possibly have echoed these words. Like Jesus and David, they possibly found themselves in extreme situations, in circumstances where they may have felt quite alone, abandoned by every one, and especially by the all-powerful and all-protecting God.

Yet this is not in accord with God’s own Word. God make a serious promise:
         “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” (Heb. 13.5)
God has said this, and this is the reality. The Word itself affirms this: God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind.
                                                                                                          (Numbers 23.19a).

God seriously challenged me some time ago in respect to His Word. He said, “If you believe my Word, act as though you believe it.” I do believe, and I give my best endeavours to acting out this belief.

When I am hesitant and uncertain of God’s presence, I do what His Words counsels me to do. I ask! I say, “Lord, where are You?” If I listen intently, I am likely to hear a gentle voice say quietly, “I’m right here. I’m with you in this. As you trust me I will lead you through this time. I will walk alongside you to the way forward that I have for you. Remember we are working to my will and not yours.”

Lord, Wonderful Mighty God,

I sit in the quiet of my special place with You – at least, in one of our special places. I feel Your presence with me. I am relaxed and at peace. I know the deep peace that my Lord Jesus has given me.

I have no great immediate concerns. I see this present moment as a time of re-assurance. It is as if You are reminding me that I must remember this moment, and Your presence with me, if testing and troubling times should come.

Your Word assures me that you are always with me – even to the end of the age. I sense, right now, that You are impressing upon me the reality and the truth of these words.


You are always there. Let me never forget.                                             Amen.



My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment