Thursday 24 March 2016

Loving God

Jesus replied, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.”                                                                                          Matt. 22.37


Jesus is responding to the Pharisees’ question of which is the greatest commandment in the law. His answer tells me what my priority is – to love God with my whole being. How may I do this?

As I trace this commandment to its roots in Deuteronomy, I can understand the human response of love as built on the love that God has for His people, and His identification with them. John reminds is that we love because he first loved us
                                                                                                                    (1 John 4.19).

Yet, whilst my love for God is a response to His love for me, it is also a gift. God has gifted me with this love, not only for Him but for all people as well.

Further, I see the two aspects of decision and commitment as pertaining to the all-consuming love I have for God.

God has given me the gift of love. I may choose to accept it. I can love Him because He loved me first. I can decide to put God in the priority position in my life, and to love Him with every part of my being. And I can commit to following through daily with this commitment. I do!





O Holy God,

I open up every part of my being to receive Your love and to respond to You from the whole of who I am. I give You mind, body, heart, soul, and spirit. May no part of me be exempt from Your holy touch. May I respond to You in love, in my entirety.

I love You, Lord. I yearn to be consumed by Your love. Fill me to overflowing, please. Let me receive and let me share, in loving my neighbours. Give me of Your heart, and allow me to spread the love that You have for all of creation.

I love You, Lord. I want my whole life to be motivated by Your most wonderful love May I receive in full measure and may I give equally. You are my all. I lay before You in my nothingness, and embrace Your everything.


Hallelujah! Bless You. Thank You.                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment