Wednesday 9 March 2016

Changed

“Son, go and work today in the vineyard.” “I will not,” he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.                                                          Matt. 21.28b, 29


The distinction between the two sons is clear. The first refused his father’s request for help, but later complied. The second son at first said he would help but then did not follow through. The first son pleased the father.

As Jesus tells the story is He, perhaps, saying that we may at first refuse our heavenly Father, but later come to Him?

As I reflect, this is what I have done. In the heady days of “youthful discernment” I left God in order to go my own way. Later, He got hold of me – and changed my life completely!

How amazing is our God! Not only does He wait patiently for us, as the father daily awaited the return of his prodigal son but, just like the parable father, He rejoices extravagantly when we do come back.

I look to enjoying all the time I have with the Father. I like to think He has things for me to do yet, often, I feel just to sit, rest in Him, and simply be. And so, whatever there might be to do, I pray that I can first enjoy the being – and may the doing follow in whatever shape or volume He determines.





Lord God,

I reflect again on obedience. I wish to live in sweet obedience to You. I do not always achieve this, though it does not negate the desire.

To sit with You and simply be in relationship with You would be wonderful. I realise this is ever available to me. I just need to quiet myself and come to You in full surrender.

Surrender and obedience – how alien these words are to today’s society! Yet they are sweet to my ears when considered in respect to You. Receive me, Lord, in surrender and lead me into true obedience. May I ever enjoy relationship with You, in Jesus name I ask.                                   Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment