Friday 18 March 2016

Challenge

Then he said to them, “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”                                                                                                                                           Matt. 22.21


The Christian, like Christ, will find himself or herself in engagement with the world and with secular ideas. Such engagement will not always be positive and helpful.

These words of Jesus are most telling. They convey great wisdom. I sense also a serious warning here.

Jesus speaks in answer to a direct challenge from the authorities who had laid plans to trap him in his words (v 15). This was a deliberate move to hurt Him.

He warns us also to be alert. There is much about the Christian way that the world neither understands nor accepts. And what is not understood can so easily become a target for attack. These words of Jesus give us a two thousand year old warning to be alert, careful, and ready. I am reminded of Peter and John who, when challenged by the Sanhedrin, replied, “Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God’s sight to obey you rather than God. For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.” (Acts 4.19,20)

I must be sure of my faith, and willing to stand by it. The world will challenge me. I have been forewarned of this by Jesus but, with Him in me, I can do all things!





Lord God,

I thank You for this warning of worldly attack. May I be ever alert to the ways and wiles of humanity. And may I see Your way more clearly.

I commit to Your way, but I cannot do it without You. I thank You for Your constant presence with me. I know I can overcome anything with You. I hope I do not resign this knowledge when the test comes.

You are my everything, Lord. May I ever live with You. I praise and worship You.
                                                                                                                            Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment