Sunday 27 September 2015

Ready

"Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like men waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him."             Luke 12. 35,36

The theme of this passage is watchfulness and alertness. Through the parable, Jesus is comparing believers with the servants of a household. I think the example is a good one. The faithful are indeed called to serve, and to be ready and willing to serve at any time - even in the second or third watch of the night.

There is also further revelation when Jesus relates how the master will dress himself to serve, will have the servants recline at the table, and will come and wait on them. Indeed, Jesus is the master servant. Already He has done so much for me. And He is ever at work. Daily He leads me, by the agency of the Holy Spirit, through the process of sanctification.

The day will come when He will gather me to Himself, to spend eternity in relationship with my  holy and loving God.

I want to be ever watchful and alert. But I also want to support these characteristics with action. Jesus warns of the fate of one who knows his master's will but does not do what his master wants.(v47).

May I know God's will and may I willingly do all He asks of me. May I maintain an attitude of permanent watchfulness and alertness.





Lord God,

You are my everything. I seek to live in the fullness of Your will. I pray for an ongoing attitude of being ever watchful and alert. I pray for wisdom to know Your will, and obedience to act out that will in all things at all times.

May I truly follow my Lord Jesus. I give myself over to You for equipping and correction. I will not always do what is pleasing to You and  I ask Your forgiveness. Let this not quench my desire to walk with You in deepest intimacy, to receive and to share Your love with all I meet. I love You, Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment