Tuesday 15 September 2015

Family

He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers? For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."       Matt. 12. 48 - 50


Jesus was talking with the crowd while His mother and brothers stood outside wanting to speak with Him. This was His biological family, the family He had been born into for His life on this earth.

Yet, when a man pointed out to Him that His mother and brothers were waiting for Him outside, He answered with a much bigger definition of His family. His expanded description of who comprises His family gives hope to all people. We can - each one of us, every single one - be part of His family. We can be related to Him, and connected to Jesus, the Father and the Spirit in the most wonderful way.

The " condition" that Jesus stipulated for membership of His family was that we should do the will of His Father in heaven. In this stipulation, Jesus echoes my deepest desire. I so want to live, always, in the Father's will. Sadly, I know that I do not always achieve this. Yet my failure will not prevent me from giving my best efforts to live in God's will. As I falter (and I surely will!), I bring myself before Him in confession and repentance, I seek His forgiveness, and I ask Him to restore me to good relationship and to lead me on.




Great Heavenly Father,

I try to live in the fullness of Your will and yet, I do not always achieve this. Forgive me for my failings, restore me into Your loving embrace, and lead me into the further fulfilment of Your will. Help me to become a true son, in Jesus' name I ask.       Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment