Wednesday 9 September 2015

Don't fear

“I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear. Fear him who, after the killing of the body has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.”       
                                                                                                                      Luke 12.4, 5


We may fear those who can exert some temporal power over us. And this fear could occasion us to withhold the truth and to speak forth only things that are pleasing or acceptable to those we fear. This might even result in some denial of Christ or, at least, a watering down of the Gospel. Yet all these earthly menacers have power only in the present physical domain. Jesus tells us not to be afraid of such.

Then He tells us we should fear the one who has power beyond the physical dimension. The one who controls the spiritual domain is able to cast us into hell.

Thus we see temporary incapacity compared with permanent, eternal damnation.

It’s not easy to ignore the world’s threats, even the gentle innuendos. But it is surely encouraging to know that a present stance for what we know is right, is supported by the guarantee of eternal wellbeing.

Jesus completes this section with the assurance that the Holy Spirit is with those who stand firm. They will be given exactly what to say and do when the time comes.





Mighty God,

I see the truth of temporary persecution against eternal wellbeing, yet I am not comfortable at the thought of great trials and testings in this earthly life.

Notwithstanding my concerns, I give myself into Your keeping. I pray that I will not hold back nor fail when my faith is tested. I pray for Holy Spirit strength and enabling to stand for Jesus and, after all is done, to keep standing.

I love You and want always to affirm that love. Help me, please, in Jesus’ name I ask.                                                                                                                                                   Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment