Saturday 22 August 2015

Mercy

“Which of these three do you think was a neighbour to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”                                                 Luke 10.36,37


I am commanded to love my neighbour as I love myself. I am not, I hope, narcissistic in love of self, but I do feel a healthy self-regard and respect. This is how I want to relate to my ‘neighbour’.

The parable of the Good Samaritan makes clear to me who my neighbour is – everybody! What a tall order, then, to relate to all in the healthiest way, to receive them with good regard and respect.

I know I cannot do this in my own abilities. I will be more than tempted to judge. But I also know the remedy for this, and the way forward. I have previously encountered the ‘difficult-to-love’ – for whatever reasons. When I have truly struggled, I have found release by praying for the person or persons concerned and asking God to show me them as He sees them. And this is where the knockout comes! In the most unimaginable instances, God has shown me deep beauty and purity. There have been times when my breath has fairly been taken away.

This is how I desire to see my neighbour – all of them! This is not naiveté in the extreme. This, I believe, is the love of God working in me, with me, and through me.





Loving Father,

May I love my neighbour in ways that are both pleasing and honouring to You. Let me see people as You see them. Yes, Lord, may You take my breath away with the beauty that You reveal to me in all people. You love them all. There are no exceptions. I am not at this place. Please help me to get there. Fill me, if You will, to overflowing with Your love, and lead me in the utmost sharing of it, in Jesus’ name I ask.               Amen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment