Tuesday 25 August 2015

Divided

“Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.”                                            Matt. 12.25


Jesus had totally healed a blind and mute man such that he was able to both see and talk. The Pharisees declared that He drove out demons by the power of Satan.

Jesus countered with the above words, then continued: “If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?” (v 26)

Jesus presents a universal principle. Anything that is divided against itself will eventually fall. Sadly, I think of the Church, and the numerous splits and divisions that have occurred, and which still occur. I feel the Church needs to set aside ALL differences, and give itself over completely to the One who said, “I will build my church.” (Matt. 16.18) He also went on to say, “and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.”

Jesus allows no room for dissension or division.

Jesus spoke of the “divided” individual when He said, “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.” (Matt. 6.24)

There is no place for division in God’s people, either within each individual or between persons or groups of people. I need unity in myself, and God’s Church (which is simply the community of God’s people) needs to be undivided.

God help us!




Lord God,

I pray firstly for myself. Let me be undivided in myself. Help me to live fully as the wholesome person You created me to be.

I pray also for the Church. Please bring a mighty, universal reconciliation to all Your people. Reunite us in right relationship with You, and with each other.        Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment