Friday 7 August 2015

Extreme Love

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.”                                                                                                 John 13.34


Jesus is clear. He gives us the directive, and the method. We are to love one another, and we are to love in the same way as He has loved us. What does this mean?

Jesus loved us so much that He died for us. He also said, “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends” (John 15.13)

This is how Jesus is telling us to love one another. This is a very big ask. Do I love my brothers and sisters enough to die for them? I don’t know! God willing, I may never be put to the test. But I know what is asked of me.

As I reflect on this, what comes to me so clearly is the privilege it would be to give my life for my friends. Would they appreciate it? I don’t know, but that wouldn’t be my concern. I look to what I do in following Jesus. How others might appreciate my deeds or not must not impinge on my commitment to my life or death in Him.

I sort of hope that I will not be called to lay down my life for my friends. Yet, if it should come, I pray I would be able to follow my Lord.





Lord Jesus,

You have given me a command to love my fellow brings. You ask me to love them as You love me. I will try to do this, but I ask Your help.

May I see people as You see them? I read so often of You looking on people with compassion. I want to follow You in this, Lord. Help me, please.

I don’t know if I will ever be called on to lay down my life for my friends. If I am, I pray I will not stop to consider whether my actions will be appreciated or not. I hope I will be willing to follow You, and pay whatever price is necessary.

Lord Jesus, I so want to grow more like You. Lead me in this. Show me the way, Your way. Let me gladly follow You. Hallelujah! I praise Your name.            Amen.





My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").


No comments:

Post a Comment