Thursday 22 May 2014

The Road Less Travelled

 My first "selfie"!

I am now several days along the Via de la Plata. The weather has been kind and the way is enjoyable. I have travelled sufficiently long and far to draw some comparisons with my previous Camino experiences.

I would say the Camino Frances is by far the most popular, and in many respects the most organised for today's pilgrims. Geographically, towns and villages are often less widespread than on the Via de la Plata. This invites more frequent stops, catch- ups with new Camino friends, and coffee refreshment. On the Via de la Plata  I have experienced several days where there has been no intervening refreshment stop (i.e. bar or cafe) between the morning departure point and the day's final destination. Additionally there have been days when I've only seen (and sometimes this is a sighting in the distance)  one other person during my time of walking. This is made up for at walk's end when I meet, at the albergue (pilgrims' hostel) many of the folk I've spent time with at previous albergues. And so, each day contains a mix of time spent alone (often when walking) and time taken in enjoyment of fellowship with others (relaxing at the albergues, sharing a meal etc.).

In a nutshell, the Camino Frances yields more frequent stopping places and greater numbers in company compared with the Via de la Plata. In my opinion, Camino Portugues falls between the two.

I do miss the "coffee opportunities" that were more obvious on the Camino Frances. And a 20Km walk seems much longer when there are no intermediate established stopping places between start and finish. However, these "minuses" are more than offset by the exhilaration of a decent walk in pristine air through open and pleasant country.

The "way" varies from minor roads to mountain tracks.
 

In places the vegetation is sparse.

Then another path may lead through woodland.

When I have opportunity, I enjoy walking -and talking with others. This may be of short or extended duration, for there is a beautiful unwritten protocol on the Camino that no one is obligated. Each person walks their own Camino. If anyone walks alongside you at any time they are free to press ahead or to hold back as they desire. To see this in operation is delightful. There is no recrimination - "Don't you want to walk with me?" Rather a generous understanding and acceptance.

Of course when I'm not walking with anyone else, I'm still not alone. I'm walking with Jesus, every step of the way. We enjoy each other, and we are having a wonderful time.

I see Via de la Plata as the "Road less travelled" than the other two Caminos I've experienced. I think similarly about the modern pilgrim's journey with Jesus. Not too many people seem to choose this way nowadays. This is sad, for they are missing out on so much now and, of course, on a future that is out-of-this-world.

I couldn't be without Jesus.he is my constant companion,  not only on this Camino but in the whole of my life. I confess I have more time while walking to indulge myself in His company, and I do this unashamedly. I am ready to receive all He has for me. In doing so I willingly share it -and then He can bless me more.


Precious Lord Jesus,
There is something so special about sharing this walk with You. I thank You for Your presence with me, here on the Via de la Plata and in all my life.
I appreciate You and all You do for me. I enjoy your company and pray that You enjoy mine. Thank You. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Dear Peter, I feel as though I am walking with you - and Jesus. I am loving your trip. Thank you for blessing us with your Blog. (And I'm very impressed with the "selfie".

    ReplyDelete