Thursday 29 May 2014

San Andres Aljucen



(the 'e's in the above heading should have accents over them as the Spanish requires. I apologise for the omission of accents in all relevant blog postings. I do not possess the requisite Blogger expertise.)

Today I arrived in Carceres, a city with a long and colourful history, and with many amazing buildings and precincts to attest to its story.




A Roman colony was founded in 34BC. A city gate, "Arco del Cristo' survives from this time.


In Medieval times Arabs and Christians fought in the area. But on 23rd April 1229 Caceres was finally and definitely reconquered by the Christian King Alphonso IX of Leon.

Christian and Muslim aggression and warfare was also highlighted en route a couple of days ago when I stopped at the small village of Aljucen. As with so many wonderful sacred buildings, the local church was locked. 'Ah well,' I thought, 'there goes another opportunity to connect with the faith of years past.' However, late in the afternoon Anna, the hospederia who had admitted us to the albergue, came by to say she would open the church for us to see inside. I jumped at the opportunity.

Before we entered, Anna said, in Spanish of course, that she would speak slowly to me of the church's history. The church which dates from the 15th and 16th centuries, is dedicated to San Andres (St. Andrew), though there is also a statue and reference to Santiago (St. James). What I think Anna said is that the church itself is, or it contains a memorial connected to the Christians' final defeat of the Muslims. Several times she repeated 30 th November, but I didn't pick up which year she was referring to.


Then she opened the door and. As I stepped in, I gasped and my eyes filled with tears. I was overcome. The simple beauty of the interior resonated with God's regal yet loving presence. The whole scene oozed God. I don't think my photos do it justice, but they're the best I could do.




I was also aware of the faith of centuries that confronted me. The ongoing struggles between Muslims and Christians could well have caused much damage in the lives of those who had worshipped here. If walls could talk, what stories these might tell.

I am mindful of how easy it is for me to practice my faith. How would I fare if serious persecution were to break into my life?

San Andres, and the people of Aljucen - the memory of those past and the gracious present hospitality of Anna - are impressed on my mind. My voice was somewhat choked as I thanked Anna for opening the church. I told her it had been very special for me, because I love Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment