Thursday 1 May 2014

Cost

"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it?"      Luke 14.28

By this allegorical example Jesus is telling us there is a cost to following Him. He also urges any would-be follower to first consider if they might be able to meet the cost.

Jesus does not want weak or half-hearted supporters who look for continual blessings and who may be unwilling to give truly to Him. Christian history bears witness to many tests and trials that true believers might experience. Many have lost their lives by holding to their faith. Many more are in physical and mortal danger in this present age. Yet, as I note these realities, I also hear Jesus' reminder that He is always there - "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." (Hebrews 13.5) I am also acutely aware of the suffering and death that my Lord Himself experienced. He asks nothing of me that He would not undertake Himself.

In this discourse, Jesus further adds, "In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14.33) By this, I don't believe Jesus is telling me to give up all I have right now. Rather, I think He is reminding me that I am to put Him before all else. He is first. He is more important to me than anything else. My journey with Him confirms this. I am nothing without Him. In Him I come to life - and that life continues gloriously and eternally.



Lord Jesus,
I am truly blessed to live in constant relationship with You. I thank our Father for drawing me to You. I thank You for yoking with me in inseparable partnership. I thank the Spirit for keeping me ever aware of Your presence and love. Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment