Wednesday 14 May 2014

Pilgrimage 2014. Wednesday 14th May 2014

The Lord God loves them (us) all...

I am still en route to my pilgrimage start point of Sevilla. I've just boarded the Renfe AVE train at Atocha station in Madrid. 

The last three days have seen some precious experiences since I temporarily farewelled my home on the beautiful east coast of Australia.


My first people connection occurred on the leg of the international flight between Melbourne and Abu Dhabi. I was allocated a seat in a row of three (A,B & C). My companion travellers were an elderly Greek couple from Melbourne. Though elderly, the 90 year old man was alert and very intelligent. His 80-something wife was also extremely alert. Both spoke reasonable English and I was to find out how surprisingly different they were as individuals, and characters.
For some reason I didn't understand, he had installed himself in the window seat (A), while she had taken the aisle seat (C). I was the meat in this Greek sandwich, having seat B. We made a most unlikely trinity! There were two main aspects to our association. First was my interaction with them both in separate conversations. The other was their domestic interaction with each other across the divide between them, which was me!
Both husband and wife liked to talk. His conversation covered a range of diverse and well-informed subjects,though I was somewhat taken aback when, suddenly, he dived into the unlikely travelling topic of political elections in Scotland! I was often touched with mild embarrassment when, due to his quite obvious deafness, my remarks and responses seemed to be broadcast to all within earshot in our section of the aircraft!!
His wife was equally active in her conversation, with her questions being more personally probing than his. What a precious couple! I resigned myself to the hope that I could catch up on relieving tiredness at a future time . This present, and unexpected, interaction was to be maximised and enjoyed. How blessed we are to meet. Some of God's precious children.

My next encounter came after I had successfully negotiated myself on to the train from the airport to the city in Milan. A man took the seat opposite me in the compartment. He asked me something in Italian. I could only guess at what he'd asked. I assumed he was enquiring what time the train was departing. I faced the departures board out of the train window. I tried to convey 4.19 pm to him when he continued, in reasonable English, to tell me that he was asking if there was a toilet on the train! After this unusual but memorable ice breaker we were soon in brief but exciting conversation about sharing God's love in practical and helpful ways. He was a teacher working with a lay Catholic organisation. He had spent time teaching in South Korea but the ministry had reached fulfilment. He was home for a brief visit but also exploring opportunities in Indonesia. Although our time was brief of necessity, I hope we've started a connection that will continue. Who knows, there may be a future visit to Indonesia in the offing.


Other,briefer encounters included the young man who, with the use of his phone app helped me find the right direction to the hotel in Milan and later, the couple at the pasticceria where I stopped for coffee and a sweet treat.

There are many beautiful people on this earth. I've been privileged to meet more than a few. God has opened this pilgrimage by introducing me to some of His lovely children. I expect to meet many more in the coming weeks. I am most appreciative and grateful for this.


Lord God and Loving Father,

I thank You for the wonderful start You've given to this pilgrimage. I give myself into Your keeping for the duration. I pray You will take me to amazing places and introduce me to wonderful people. But most of all, may I know Your presence with me in the most tangible and intimate way. Thank You, Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photo, Peter. Congratulations, you've done it! What a lovely start God has given you to your pilgrimage. It's going to be a wonderful holy time.

    ReplyDelete