Sunday 4 May 2014

A jealous God



Then the LORD will be jealous for his land and take pity on his people.           Joel 2.18


God is a jealous God. He tolerates neither rivalry nor unfaithfulness. His jealousy is fully in keeping with the overwhelming love He has for the whole of His creation. He wants us fully for Himself and will not allow anything to hinder this or keep us from Him.

But God’s jealousy does not only result in punishment and suffering. As we see in this instance with Israel, God takes pity on his people.

I do not know if His plan is for a measure of punishment such as to achieve the change He desires in us, or whether God has some other reason. But there is a season for everything and, eventually, suffering and punishment will end.

God’s continuing answer brings further good news for His people: “You will have plenty to eat, until you are full, and you will praise the name of the LORD your God, who has worked wonders for you; never again will my people be shamed.”  (v 26)

God is a jealous God but, praise be to Him, His jealousy is for our ultimate benefit. Hallelujah!



Thank You, Lord, for being jealous of and for me. I’m sorry for all the times when I disappoint You. I do not want to do this and I ask Your forgiveness. Please lead me in the right ways, to live in the fullness of Your plan for me.

I hold onto that word “fullness”. I seek Your fullness in me. I press in to You. I beseech You to draw me closer, to take me further in You. Let me know You more and more with each passing day. Show me Your deeper insights into the life and ministry, divinity and lordship of Jesus. Fill me to overflowing with the presence and power of the Holy Spirit.

Holy God, I can’t get enough of You. Hear my cry. Answer my plea. And bless me with Your presence in deep, and ever-deepening relationship. I reach out to You. Receive me, please, in Jesus’ name I ask.                          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment