Monday 19 May 2014

A New Way, A Fresh Start


Entering into this third Camino brings me to reflect on the two I have completed. They were quite different, each special in its own way, each giving me wonderful, lasting memories.

This present Camino, the Via de la Plata, is also going to be different, and I'm anticipating many precious experiences and memories for me. The Via de la Plata is truly a New Way for me. I have no prior experience of it, save for reading the reminiscences of others. I start off and I feel so fresh. I remember how, these days, I see each day as a new adventure in and with God. Every day He gives me a fresh started. Yesterday is gone and I need to leave it behind. Tomorrow promises for its own time. But today is my immediate gift from God. I need to put my all into this present moment. If I reflect, anad maybe regret, yesterday I rob myself of precious today. Likewise if I hanker in advance for tomorrow. No, I cast aside all distractions and give myself to the moment that is now. I plan to enjoy all the "nows" of this Camino, and then some in my life beyond.

Two very specific reflections hit me within the shortest time of walking. They are relevant to this walk particularly, but their significance stretches beyond the walk and Spain, speaking clearly to me of the whole of my life with God.

Early on in the walk I stopped for refreshment at Guillema. As I was leaving the bar I asked where I might get a sello (stamp) for my credencial (the pilgrim's passport which is stamped at each stopping place). I was told the Ayuntamiento (municipal offices) was the place and, yes, they were open. The office was literally just doors from the bar and I readily "got stamped". Following my request, I also got valuable information on the best way to leave town to continue on the Camino.

What I got from my reflection was how, in my willingness to ask, people readily responded, and I was helped. There was a time when I was too shy or embarrassed to ask anything of anyone. Fortunately that time is past. Now, if I need to know something, I ask. And my asking seems to prompt others into a willing response. How true the saying of Jesus is: Ask and you will receive. I am encouraged by today's experience. I will apply this revelation to the Camino journey and to all of life beyond. I will not hesitate to ask when I'm stuck. And I will receive what people have to share with me.

And so I found myself through the town and ready for the walk proper. Mostly the way is marked, sometimes by formal markers
 but more often by the means of yellow arrows painted informally wherever space allows.


These "yellow arrows" are not always easy to spot and it is possible to take a wrong turn, as I did a couple of times today. Occasionally, indeed very occasionally, a different marker will tell you where not to go:


The point I got in respect to the "yellow arrows" is twofold. Firstly, they're there. Someone has taken the trouble to position them. They show the way, they are to be heeded. Secondly, that they are not always easy to spot. As I learned to my cost today, I must be ever alert and looking for them.

I was well out of Guillema when I missed a turn. I had walked about 100 m past the turn when a gang of street light technicians stopped me and pointed out the right way. In this one occurrence both aspects of my reflection come together: I must listen when people help me, and I must not miss the yellow arrows.

And so to my reflection on life - God's way. God has given me the senses of speech and hearing. I am to ask if I need to know something. God can give me the answer directly Himself or He can speak through others. I need to listen. Then there are the "yellow arrows". God may set general or specific direction in my life. He may well give me pointers (yellow arrows). These might be prominent and clear, or they may be difficult to discern. I need to be ever alert.

I wonder how many more life lessons I'll get as I journey this Camino with Him!

Most Precious Father,
I thank You for this wonderful start to my Camino: Via de la Plata.
I believe You have spoken most clearly to me. Let me receive all You choose to share with me along the Way. And may I be so willing to put it into practice, and to live life to the full - in You.
GraciasSeñor. Hallelujah! Amen. 

PS. I apologise for the lateness in posting this entry. As you may have seen from my earlier attempt, I'm not too good at inserting photos. The first picture came out mush larger than I wanted it. I have no idea how big the pics in this entry will be. Also they are not positioned as I would like. But I will not delay further, else you'll get no news this side of Santiago. So, here goes. I will post. If you know what I need to do with the pics please drop me a comment. Gracias y adios.

2 comments:

  1. Loved the selfie photo I think you are doing great. Happy Trails. Amanda & CO

    ReplyDelete