Friday 21 February 2014

The royal law



If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbour as yourself”, you are doing right.                           James 2.5


James endorses the “right” way for us. There are two aspects of this statement that speak clearly to me. The first is perhaps obvious. God wants us to love our neighbour. I would further suggest that the classification of “neighbour’ is all-embracing. After all, Jesus tells us to pray for those who persecute us. I believe it is difficult not to experience a measure of caring for those we pray for. So the first point is clear: We are to love all those that God has given to us as neighbours.

But we are to love them as we love ourselves! This second point is an interesting one. Through this commandment God is clearly telling me that I must love myself. But I do not believe this to be an egotistical, narcissistic, self-centred obsessiveness. Rather, I see it as a healthy self-respect. I acknowledge the person that God made me to be. I affirm that person and seek to live his life, in God, to the full. I will look to enjoy living this life that God has given me.

With a healthy self-image, and a similar respect for God’s sovereignty and leading, I am well placed to love my neighbour, whoever that might be.






Lord God,

I thank You for the person You created me to be. As my Christian journey has unfolded so also I have seen the true me uncovered. I like Your handiwork and I thank You for the love that formed me to be me.

I know there is more uncovering to come. I submit myself to You for Your further refining. I ask You to lead me in all relationships. Let me love others as You love me.

I love you with a sweet intensity. I rejoice in You. May I also love all those You bring to me to share Your love with.

Receive my love. Receive me, and lead me through this day, in Jesus’ Name I ask.          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment