Monday 24 February 2014

He endured



Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.                     Heb. 12.3


The NIV Study Bible reminds us that Jesus suffered more than any of His disciples is asked to suffer. I am reminded of this often and it is indeed a great encouragement to me, as the NIV notes say (p. 1874). I find myself saying, “Lord, they haven’t yet done to me what they did to You.”

I haven’t suffered as He has and I very likely won’t suffer to the extent He did, whatever might befall me in the future. This, in itself, is a source of comfort to me.

The other aspect of this truth that impacts me is that Jesus, by His far greater degree of suffering, so completely understands what I might be going through. I think I really need to get hold of this, to let the reality settle fully into the essence of my being.

What am I saying? Jesus has experienced far greater temptation, trial and torment than anything I am likely to experience on this earth. He has endured, and He has overcome. He understands anything and everything that would seek to afflict me. He is my greatest ally and support. He is the help I need, the only help I need, in any situation.






Lord Jesus,

You have experienced it all. There is nothing that may come my way to surprise You. Dear Lord, I thank you for this reminder today.

Right now, nothing afflicts me to any marked degree. I can come to You in joyful celebration of Your presence in my life. I feel like I want to skip through the day with delight in Your presence. Yet, even in this positive state, I know You are equally there for me when times seem not so good. You are ever ready to encourage and strengthen me. You are there to hearten me at all times. I rejoice in the wholeness of life in You. You are my way. You are my all. Hallelujah! Thank You. I praise Your Name.                                                                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment