Wednesday 12 February 2014

Come near



Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.             James 4.8


It is interesting that these two sentences are brought together in one verse. I am exhorted to press in to God. As I do so, He will make His presence felt. But immediately the warning is given for the sinner to wash his hands and the double-minded to purify his heart.

Psalm 24 gives further connection between these two sentences:

            Who may ascend the hill of the LORD?
            Who may stand in his holy place?
            He who has clean hands and a pure heart (vv. 3, 4a)

The NIV Study Bible notes (p. 808) suggest that ‘clean hands’ signify guiltless actions, whist a ‘pure heart’ illustrates right attitudes and motives.

I need to wash my hands and purify my heart if I am to come near to God. Jesus said, “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God” (Matt. 5.8). But I am a sinner! I was born into a sinful world and my humanity inherits sin from the fall of Adam. What chance do I have for truly clean hands and a pure heart?

I believe part of the ‘chance’ I may have lies in the choices I make. I can choose to follow those actions that are honourable and true. I can practice right attitudes and I can question my motives to see what the underlying agenda might be. Am I working to God’s agenda or to my own? And if it’s my own agenda that I follow, am I willing to let go of it and to seek God’s way instead? These are things that I can consider, actions that I can put into effect. The other hope I have for experiencing clean hands and a pure heart is to ask God’s help. He is a generous giver who will not ignore any genuine and sincere request. I cannot say what His answer might be, but I know that I trust Him, and that is sufficient for me. My deep desire is to come near to God and for Him to come near to me. I will do all I can to further this desire and bring it to reality.






Lord God,

You know my heart. You know my desire to live in close relationship, in deep intimacy with You. I join with the psalmist and cry out that I long to dwell in Your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of Your wings (Ps.61.4). I know from my own experience of camping that tent-dwelling is an intimate way of life. Let me live in Your tent, Lord, and co-habit with You all the days of my life.

I give myself to aim for clean hands and a pure heart. I commit to the best of my ability to seek to be guiltless in my actions, and to live with right attitudes and motives. I undertake this but I know I will not achieve this solely in my own strength. So I ask for Your help. Hear my prayer. Receive it, and may Your Holy Spirit be my true mentor and guide. Show me Your way in everything. Lead me in that way. Jesus said the Holy Spirit would guide me into all truth, He would teach me all things and remind me of everything that Jesus said. I believe this. I receive the word of my Lord and I hold on to it as the truth. I believe. I trust You, Lord, with all of my being. Lead me now. Help me in my quest for clean hands and a pure heart. Wash me and refine me, and continue this process until I am truly one with You.

This may happen this side of eternity, yet I can rejoice in daily drawing to You, offering myself in genuine abandonment to You, seeking and allowing You to have Your will and Your way in my life.

I love You. Oh, how sweet it is to say this. There is no loneliness in my life because You fill it. I’m pressing in, Lord. I want more of You. I’m not satisfied and so I seek, I ask, and I expect. Meet with me in every situation. Let me see You in every face I meet. Surprise me, please, with holy “suddenlies”. Enjoy me, precious Father, and let me enjoy You.

The day lies before us. I ask You to lead me in everything I do. I want to be nothing and do nothing without You. I am a child of God. Holy Father, speak to me, guide me, lead me through. May we enjoy each other. May I know Your closeness to me today, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                                                                                                                 Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment