Tuesday 18 February 2014

Offering



Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise – the fruit of lips that confess his name.                   Heb. 13.15


NIV Study Bible notes (p. 1876) remind us that “sacrifice” here is used metaphorically to represent an offering to God. The writer to the Hebrews makes it abundantly clear that Jesus is the full and final sacrifice that allows for the remitting of all sins that are sincerely confessed and genuinely repented of in His name. This sacrifice per se is no longer required of us. But praise and thanksgiving may be offered to God in profusion.

Paul exhorts us to give thanks in all circumstances. This tells me that no time or experience is exempt from the act of thanksgiving. When I am happy and things are going well it is not difficult to give thanks. When I am struggling with an issue, or feel badly let down by others, then it is a different matter to freely give thanks, to praise God for His wonder and goodness. At just such times I might become aware that thanksgiving is a sacrifice.

I believe such times give me opportunity to connect with Jesus in sacrificial offering and giving to God. I may not feel like presenting God with a sacrificial offering of praise. I remind myself that it’s not what I feel like doing, but my obedience to a Saviour and Lord who said, “Follow me” that guides me in what I choose to do. I remember that I always have a choice. I pray I may always choose the Jesus way.






Holy Father,

Right now I can come before you in joyful praise and thanksgiving. It is not difficult. Yet I am mindful of the times when I may not feel like giving thanks. There are difficult days when the last thing I want to do is sing praises to You. I ask You to forgive me for this attitude and to help me, by the power of Your Holy Spirit, to remember You – at all times – with thanksgiving in an offering of praise and worship.

Lord, let me be ever mindful of that most amazing sacrifice You made for me. I thank You now. May I continue to thank You every day of this earthly life. Give me strength, Lord, in Jesus’ Name I ask.                                                                                                            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment