Saturday 15 February 2014

A small spark



Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.                  James 3.5


My tongue, small in regard to the totality of my being, is capable of “setting a forest on fire”! I am aware that there are positive and negative impacts to this statement.

I can cause a lot of damage and harm with the improper use of my tongue. Malice is surprisingly easy to speak forth and, once spoken, cannot be retracted. I need to guard my tongue to ensure that I do not speak forth ungodly things.

But there is another way. Paul, in both letters to the church at Corinth says, “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.” If I am to make boasts at all, let them be in Jesus. Let Him be the focus and centre of all my speech. In everything I say, whether it might be seen as “boasting” or simply as normal everyday conversation, I pray that Jesus will be the source, the author and the finisher of my every word.







Lord God,

I surrender my tongue to You. I am mindful of times when my words are not what they might be. Forgive me, please.

I pray that my every thought be taken captive in obedience to Christ and that each word I speak will reflect His sovereign place in my life. I commit to this and I ask that Your Holy Spirit will lead me, guide me and show me the way. And, if I falter, I pray for Holy Spirit conviction to lead me back to the truth.

May my every word be pleasing to You. Take my tongue and my speech and make them Yours, in Jesus’ Name I pray.                               Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment