Tuesday 6 November 2012

Make music!



My heart is steadfast, O God;
I will sing and make music with all my soul.                     Psalm 108.1


How I wish I could truly say my heart is steadfast, and make music to God with all of my being. Certainly there are times when this is true, but there are also times when I feel anything but steadfast. Doubt assails me and self-questioning takes on a negative flavour. With help, sometimes from a friend, sometimes direct from God, I am able to journey through these times. And the number of instances I can attribute to the work of the enemy should have given me clear comfort long ago.

Yet, such is the cunning of the foe that I inevitably fall prey – not often and not always, but sufficient times for me to get cross about it. The answer, as I often tell others, is to turn to God first and not last. What a good idea!






Lord God,

Again I thank You for Your faithfulness. You are always there. You are with me. Indeed, who need I fear? Sometimes I think I need to be most wary of myself. I allow myself to get in the way of the fullness of living in You, in harmony and perfect peace. I ask You to forgive me.

I also ask, from another of the psalmist’s pleas to You, that You would restore the “joy” of my salvation. Let me not focus on the daily details of life. These do not constitute who I am. I am a child of God, much loved by my heavenly Father. O, how joyous is this!

Yes, Lord, may I know the joy of salvation, fresh every minute of every day. Create a steadfast heart in me, O my Father, and cause Your Holy Spirit to rise up in me to fullness and overflowing. May I sing and make music to You every day if my life.

Receive my love. Hear my prayer, and answer me, please, in Jesus’ Name I ask.          Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment