Sunday 11 November 2012

His will



“For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.”                                              John 6.38


This verse encapsulates fully the divinity and humanity of Jesus Christ and explains, to me, the reason for his incarnation.

Jesus came down from heaven. This point is clearly made – in fact it is just about hammered home – in this discourse where it is mentioned six times (vv. 33,38,41,50,51,58). Jesus is of divine origin. He is God.

He is also man. He came down from heaven to earth where He lived in the fullness of humanity – but with a unique, sinless humanity.

He had a purpose in coming to earth which was to restore humanity to right relationship with God. For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost (Luke 19.10). Throughout His earthly life His purpose was clear – to do the will of the Father who had sent Him. He was obedient from beginning to end, even to death. His obedience has rescued me and restored me to a loving, most precious relationship with the Father.

I am in awe of the divinity of Christ. I marvel at the sinless humanity of Jesus. And I rejoice in the salvation I have through His selfless act of obedience to the Father’s will.






Lord God,

How awesome you are. You came down from heaven, God in human form. You lived among us, wholly without sin. You gave Yourself, the ultimate sacrifice, in payment and absolution of our sin.

Holy, holy Lord, I bow before You in full adoration and praise. My heart spills over with thanks for You. I offer my deepest, sweetest worship to you. I bow down in humility, remembering Your act of love for me.

Thank You, Holy Lord, thank You, for all that You’ve done and continue to do, in and for me.                                                                                                                                        Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment