Wednesday 18 April 2012

The Lord said...!


Then the LORD said to Jacob, “Go back to the land of your fathers and to your relatives, and I will be with you.”                           Gen. 31.3


As I read this verse my first thought was to wonder if God indeed had spoken to Jacob as clearly and directly as the words indicate. There is no confusion whatsoever in this statement. God speaks to Jacob and He tells him exactly what to do. How could Jacob fail? Isn’t this always the way with God? Doesn’t He always tell us clearly and precisely what He wants us to do?     No!!!

Reflecting upon those times in my own experience when I have struggled to hear God’s clear voice (and maybe there have been times when I’ve been unwilling to acknowledge that God just may not be speaking), I took this verse, at first glance, with a measure of (healthy?) suspicion. Then I glanced at the NIV Study Bible notes (p52), and all doubt was allayed:
            31.3 – Every sign Jacob was getting – from his wives (see vv.14-16), from Laban (see v.2), from Laban’s sons (see v.1) and now from God himself – told him that it was time to return to Galilee.

Immediately on reading these notes I was reminded of my own experience when God so clearly moved me out of one church, and one denomination, and into another. It took several weeks for God to convince me, but the signs were so clear and God’s word was so audible. God was giving me clear direction and, of course, it contained those words which are imperative and absolutely essential – “and I will be with you.” Hallelujah!

But God does not always speak so clearly and definitely. And herein lies the dilemma and frustration – at least it does for me. I want to hear God declare the most brilliant and amazing plans for my future and ministry. But He seems to be silent. And if God is silent there is surely a reason for it. As I view what is before me in the natural, I have more than enough to get on with. It might be that God is speaking to me, and what He is saying is, “You have plenty to do for the present. Just get on with it and leave the rest to me.” I don’t hear Him say this loudly or too succinctly but, nevertheless, He might be talking. Why don’t I ask Him?

What I do hear Him say is “Come closer.” This I willingly commit to before all else, and with all of my heart. If I am to do anything at all for Him it must be birthed in my healthy, deep and intimate relationship with Him. Before I do anything else I must give myself to Him, spend time with Him, talk with Him and be ever ready to hear His voice and direction.




Lord God,

I delight to spend this time with You. I hear You call me, “Come closer.” Lord, I come. Receive me. Take me into Your arms if You will. Speak to me, commune with me. My deepest desire is to live with You, in You and for You – in the now. May I know You more and more? Please walk with me today, and may we go Your way? I surrender to You. Lead me forward in wonderful partnership with You.                                                                                    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment