Wednesday 27 November 2019

Payback

“See, it stands written before me: 
I will not keep silent but will pay back in full;
I will pay it into their laps – 
both your sins and the sins of your fathers,” 
says the LORD. 
“Because they burned sacrifices on the 
mountains and defiled me on the hills, 
I will measure into their laps 
the full payment for their former deeds.”             Isa. 65. 6,7


Payback will come. In this context it appears to be a future event (I…will pay back). It will also be full payback for all the sins of humanity. God’s action will be for all people. It will address the present sins of people at whatever time God chooses, and it will include the sins of people past. No one will be exempt.

God has been dishonoured. He is still being dishonoured. We, all, burn sacrifices on the mountains and defile Him on the hills. I see the mountains in two lights. Firstly, these are the high places in the land, the elevated points at which people worshipped that which was precious and significant to them. And, these high places were prominent. The worship of the people was not carried out in dark corners or in the cover of night where it could not be seen. The worship was open and blatant.

Leaders (kings) encouraged such worship. A number of kings specifically dedicated these “high places” to pagan gods, and they led the people in unseemly, often licentious behaviour. This is not acceptable to the Righteous One. All who have dishonoured Him will be punished.

 In the previous chapter of Isaiah’s writing, the people questioned God, “will you keep silent?” God will not keep silent. He broke the silence with the Israelites, and He will break the silence with everyone.



Mighty God,
I believe punishment is to come, but my hope is that it will be followed by forgiveness and restoration. I lay myself before You in confession and repentance.            Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment