Sunday 4 December 2016

Plainly

“I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures, but will tell you plainly of the Father.”          John 16.25


Jesus’ messages to his disciples have largely been by indirect means. He has spoken through parables and analogies: The kingdom of heaven is like… Perhaps this is because they weren’t ready to receive the truth full on, or maybe they weren’t in the right place to receive and understand it.

Now He is telling them of a change. He is certainly running out of time, but His time with them has been fruitful and they are now better equipped than at any time previously. Now they can be ready to hear from Him about the Father and the kingdom of heaven without story or analogy, but plainly, directly. They are ready to see it more clearly and to go deeper within it.

This same truth can apply to any disciple. The walk with Jesus is a progressive one. We do not start off with a readiness to receive the deeper things. As Paul reminds the flock at Corinth: “I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it.” (1 Cor. 3.2) Yet as we apply ourselves, and give ourselves over to Him, we grow. The time for sop passes and we are ready for solid food.

I hope to hear plainly of the Father. I hope to hear plainly from the Father. My heart is open to God. May He speak to me clearly. May He unfold His plan for my life, and may I not miss the direction. I hope for solid food. Praise God!





Glorious God,

The disciples reached that place where they would hear plainly of you. I pray that I am likewise there. I seek You, Lord, plainly and directly. I pray that You will talk clearly with me. May we communicate, and may we commune. I seek a depth and a breadth that only You can give me. I come in full surrender. Receive me, in Jesus’ name I ask.                 Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment