Sunday 11 December 2016

Denial?

The woman said to Peter, “You are not also one of this man’s disciples, are you?” He said, “I am not.”                                                                                                                             John 18.17


Jesus had said that Peter would deny Him three times (John 13.38). Peter has now spoken forth the first of these denials. Does he realise he has done this? Seemingly not, even though he has been forewarned that he would do so.

When this man, who was clearly alerted to this danger, fails, what hope do I have to live in love and good witness to Jesus, and in obedience to the Father’s will? Of course, I need to be ever vigilant and alert. Can I learn from Peter’s experience? I wonder! I can certainly remind myself how easy it is to forget what has been said to me. Sadly, I can also forget or, worse still, overlook the reality of Jesus with me at all times. This is His word. I receive it as indisputable, and I can seek to know Him with me at all times.

Allied to this, of course, is the Holy Spirit. As Jesus is with me, His Spirit hovers to lead me, to teach me, to embrace and protect me. Maybe Peter missed out on the Holy Spirit nudging him as he slipped into denial. I can ask the Holy Spirit for that protection and guidance that is there for me and which will lead me through, in any situation, at any time.

There will be times when I fail Jesus. I pray that such times will be minimal, as I turn to God and seek the counsel and leading of His Holy Spirit.




Great God and Loving Father,


As I read of Peter’s denial, I see how easy it can be to falter in the walk with You. I press in, Lord, and I ask You to receive my declaration of love and my desire to remain steadfast to You. I ask for Your Holy Spirit presence and protection. I ask You to lead me and guide me always in ways that are pleasing to You. I seek Your constant company in the journey. I thank You. Hallelujah! Praise Your Name.                 Amen.



My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip
(Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").

No comments:

Post a Comment