Thursday 22 October 2015

Rejoicing

“I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents that over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.”                                                                                                    Luke 15.7


The first aspect of this story to attract my attention is the setting. Tax collectors and “sinners” were gathering around Jesus. They were eager to hear what He had to say. Against them stood the Pharisees and teachers of the law. They only had criticism of this man who welcomes sinners and eats with them.

The parable that Jesus proceeds to tell encapsulates the very situation. The irony is only too evident to those with eyes to see.

The sinners readily repent of their sins while the arrogance of the religious leaders gives the all-too-clear message that they see themselves as righteous persons who do not need to repent.

I see from the whole of this narrative how little time God has for hypocrites. And I realise how all-knowing God is. Whatever image I may choose to project, God knows the truth. And the truth is that I am a sinner. I cannot hide this, nor should I try to.

It is equally clear the rejoicing that takes place when I confess my sinfulness. I know I need Him. He knows I need Him. So, why pretend? Let’s get on with it.





Holy God,

In myself I am a miserable sinner. In You I am forgiven, and set free. Dear Lord, there is no contest. I come to You in my sinful state. I confess and repent of all my sins, and I include every sin, even those I may not be aware of, but You know.

I seek Your cleansing and Your way forward for me. I give myself to You for whatever You would do in me and with me.

I look to the day ahead and I rejoice that I can travel this day with You. Take me forward, and may we enjoy each other, in Jesus’ name I ask.            Amen.  




My book “God Talk” is available through major Internet booksellers.
A taste of the book's content can be seen in the You Tube clip (Search: Peter Francis - "God Talk").
                                                               


No comments:

Post a Comment