Monday 19 October 2015

Everything

“In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.” 
                                    Luke 14.33
                                                                                        

Jesus’ message here is quite clear: the true disciple must put Christ before everything else. Jesus opens this passage by citing what are, likely, the most important things to the individual in human terms, namely family and the person’s very life. Will we give these up?

The believer is to seriously consider beforehand the cost of following Christ. It is no glib or flippant act. Jesus refers to the tower builder who carefully estimates cost before commencing construction. He cites the king who evaluates his military strength before pitting his forces against another.

Jesus demands complete surrender and absolute obedience. But those who give totally in this way find themselves mightily blessed for, and I truly believe this, God will honour those who honour Him.

Jesus is the way I want to go. I sometimes wonder how complete my surrender is, but I commit to press on, to respond as best I’m able to His holy call and direction. If I continue to give myself over to Him, then He is free to have His way with me.





Lord Jesus,

I hear Your word. I come in renewed surrender. I place all that I am and everything I have before You. I say, again, take me and make me what You would have me be.

If following You costs everything, then let me be willing. For what is it to me if I have all that I might treasure in a worldly sense, yet be without You? This would be simply unacceptable to me.

I love You, I rejoice that You have chosen me to this privileged place. May Your love continue to lead me, ever closer to You and further into whatever You would have of me during this earthly sojourn. I am Yours.

Hallelujah!          Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment