Saturday 3 October 2015

Quiet Waters

He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.                                                                       Psalm 23. 2, 3a


The waters were indeed quiet. The whole scene was one of peace, of the utmost serenity. We weren’t, in fact, beside the waters, we were on the waters – in pedal-powered kayaks!

I have recently spent a brief time in the Central West district of New South Wales. I was privileged to be part of ministry teams on two succeeding weekends in the Wellington area. Some friends in Dubbo invited me to stay with them for the intervening weekdays. Whilst there, another friend invited me to join him for a short kayak trip on the Macquarie River. And so, I was led to quiet waters.




The day was simply “divine”, with a clear blue sky and a bright and warm sun. And, if the sun started to get too warm, a gentle breeze would bring sweet cooling. We first drove a little distance south of Dubbo, there we embarked upon the water in totally unspoilt, and presently uninhabited, countryside. Indeed we saw no other humans during the entire sojourn.

At one stage we passed some very contented looking cows, a number of who were lying down in their green pastures.

The green fields lay behind the riverbanks, which were resplendent with gums, willows and other varied vegetation.



The predominant wildlife was birds – many varieties with the most cheerful, bright and soothing songs. I even found the raucous calls of the sulphur-crested cockatoos to be appealing.

As we paddled silently along, I felt overcome by God in the beauty, grace and majesty of His creation. As well as this, His very presence overwhelmed me in rest, joy and peace.

I experience the most wonderful feelings of joy, deep shalom, and a fulfilment that is utterly beyond my own capabilities each and every time I minister with and for God. Then, at times like this present, it’s as if Jesus brings me apart to meet with Himself, the Father and the Spirit. He leads me beside (and in this case on) quiet waters. If I choose, I can lie down in green pastures. And through it all He restores my soul. I give myself wholly into His way, and gratefully receive His refreshing.

I believe every faithful follower of our precious Lord needs to give himself or herself over to times of refreshing, renewal and reconnecting with Him in the tranquillity of His peace and His presence in those times when it’s only Him and me.

I thank my dear friends in Dubbo for their invitations and hospitality. And I thank my precious Lord that He had planned this time of relaxation, refreshment and sweet connection with Him.







Dear Father in Heaven,


I have just experienced a most precious time of intimacy here on earth with You. I thank You. I pray for anyone who may be reading this account, that they will be willing to give themselves over to You for times of reconnecting and refreshing whenever You open the way for them to do so. I ask You to bless them with, and in, such times.                      Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment