Thursday 29 October 2015

Life

“For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.”  
                       Matt. 16.25


What does it mean for a person to want to save his or her life? It suggests to me that the individual takes it upon himself or herself to make their way, to take control of life and do with it what they choose and decide.

Jesus warns against this. Such action, He says, will cause the person to lose life. In the extreme, this could mean that the person would forfeit their very existence. I also see something else, something that comes to me now as the joy of living. Life is not merely the force that takes one from birth to death. Life as also the quality we enjoy in the journey.

Rather than me being in charge, Jesus invites me to lose my life for Him – and I see this as something more than a passing, polite invitation! I hear Jesus beckoning, even urging me to live His way, to follow – with Him – the Father’s plan for my life. As I do this, and I certainly want to do it, I will experience the richness of living that can only come from Him.

This has been the way for me for quite some time now, yet I give myself for it to be even more so. I am not always fully tuned into God’s way. I seek His forgiveness in this, and I look for His leading of me, more and more, into the finding of my life in Him.





Lord God,

I know and You know that I am far from perfect in my surrender to You. Forgive me, please. Set me free, if You will, from the power and hold of sin. Lead me into those paths and ways that are God-ordained. Strengthen me daily in You. I know the journey will have challenges, yet with You I can overcome.


I do love You, and my heart’s desire is to please and delight You. Hear this, my urgent plea, in Jesus’ name I ask.                        Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment